Water Support

In June 2012, the UK Government issued guidance on how all water and wastewater providers could offer reduced charges to help eligible customers in genuine hardship. We successfully trialled our 25 per cent social tariff during 2014 and our 50 per cent Water Support Scheme was launched in April 2015.

As part of our 2020 to 2025 Business Plan, we have committed to doubling the number of customers we support through this Scheme with a target to register 19,000 customers for this service by 2025. A key step towards doing this will be the collaborative work we are currently undertaking with water service providers in the south east to create a cross-regional network of organisations supporting customers facing financial and non-financial vulnerability.

From 1 April 2019 our eligibility criteria changed in alignment with Thames Water, Southern Water, South East Water and Portsmouth Water. Customers already on the Scheme will not be affected but the new criteria will allow some customers who were previously not eligible the chance to re-apply and receive the discount.

Our new eligibility criteria, effective from 1 April 2019:

If your yearly gross household income is:

  • Less than £16,105 before any deductions, if you do not live in a London borough; or,
  • Less than £19,201 before any deductions, if you do live in a London borough
  • Disablement benefits are not included as income.


To apply for the discount, please complete our application form or call us on 01737 772000 and we will send you a form in the post, which must be returned to our freepost address (which does not need a postcode):

FREEPOST SESW Water Support and WaterSure Plus

To cover the cost of this Scheme, and following positive feedback from more than 70 per cent of our customer research, £2 will be added to each annual bill from April 2015 onwards. Find more about the charge here.

If you require additional help from us, you may also be entitled to more support from your gas and electricity suppliers. Energy companies offer schemes and support similar to ours. Contact your gas and electricity suppliers for more information on how they may be able to help you.