If you are looking for a plumbing business, we recommend you select one which is an eligible member of an Approved Contractors' Scheme, such as WaterSafe or the Water Industry Approved Plumbers Scheme (WIAPS).

Using an approved contractor will give you the following benefits:

  • They are fully qualified to carry out plumbing work in homes and businesses, with specific training in Water Fittings Regulations. If you use a plumber that isn't qualified you may find the work is poorly installed, or worse, you are left with a risk that your water supply could become contaminated.
  • You will be issued with a 'Work Completed' certificate, which protects you (or the property owner) if challenged by the water supplier enforcing the Regulations. Approved Contractors are required to put right any work which is found not to meet the requirements of the Regulations.
  • In many cases, plumbers have a legal duty to notify the water supplier before they start work and this can lead to delays. Approved contractors do not normally need to provide this notification.
  • Approved businesses hold public and employers' liability insurance.
  • If you have any concerns about the work, there is an independent complaints procedure.
  • Approved businesses are audited to check they are complying with the rules of their Approved Contractors' Scheme.

WIAPS is one of seven approved contractors' schemes which is part of WaterSafe. It is run by the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme (WRAS) on behalf of a number of Water Companies, including us. WIAPS has a list of groundworkers who are qualified to undertake work on outside water services only, as well as plumbers.

Please note the individuals and businesses listed on WaterSafe or WIAPS are not employed by Sutton and East Surrey Water. The register has been provided to help you find an approved plumbing business.


Search for a plumber


There are thousands of qualified contractors employed by plumbing businesses across the UK on the WaterSafe site. Search here.

Alternatively you can find an approved plumber or groundworker by visiting the WIAPS website.