Rainfall and Resources

Ground Water Levels: Below Average

Bough Beech reservoir: Average

We depend on rain for the water we supply to our customers. Our region is classified as being in ‘serious water stress’ because of the balance between the rainfall we receive and the demand for water from households, businesses and agriculture.

The last six months of 2016 were very dry with only two-thirds of the long-term average rainfall being received. Despite a wet start this year, we saw a return to drier weather in March and April, resulting in groundwater levels lower than average for this time of year. The Met Office long range weather forecast for the next few months are likely to be above average temperatures and below average rainfall.

Groundwater levels are important as 85% of the water we supply to our customers comes from underground. We have 34 borehole sources in our supply area, mainly abstracting water from the chalk and greensand aquifers along the North Downs. Bough Beech reservoir in Kent provides the remaining 15% of our supplies.

We are not currently planning any water supply restrictions this summer, but we are carefully monitoring our resource levels. To minimise the need for restrictions this year, our advice to SES Water customers is to be mindful of the water they are using; for example by taking shorter showers, fixing dripping taps and using a watering can instead of a hose. To find out how your household could be more water wise and apply for free water saving devices go to www.seswater.co.uk/calculator.

Actual Rainfall (bar) and Long Term Average (line)

(A missing bar in the following graph indicates that no data is available for that month at this time)

The difference between Actual Rainfall and the Long Term Average


Raw Data Spreadsheet

To download this spreadsheet please click on the following link:

excel.zip - a ZIP format file containing the full set of all available data in a multi-sheet Excel format spreadsheet. (data updated monthly)

Current Resource Levels

please click on the diagram above for an enlarged copy (pdf)

Bough Beech Reservoir Level

 Information updated on 11 May - click graph to enlarge

Well House Inn Reference Borehole Level

Graph showing the water level in the Well House Inn borehole

Information updated on 11 May- click graph to enlarge