Tackling the amount of water lost through leaks is a priority for us, and we know how important it is to our customers.

We have a specialist team working to meet the demanding targets set by the water industry regulator Ofwat.

Our leakage rate is one of the lowest in the UK Water Industry, but we need your help to maintain this record. 

Please help us by reporting any leak, or suspected leak by clicking here.

Spotting a leak is often easy where water is visible, but there are some other signs:

  • Unusually green patches of grass
  • Lower than normal water pressure
  • High water meter readings

The sections below give more detail on the sections of pipework that the property owner is responsible for, and our scheme to assist homeowners with repairs to their pipes.

We have a large network of water mains distributing water from our treatment works to the areas where people live and work. Each property is connected to a water main by a service pipe. The ownership of this pipe is divided between us and the property owner.

In most cases we are responsible for the section between the water main and the boundary of the street in which the water main is located. This section is called the communication pipe. There is usually an underground stopcock near this boundary, and there may also be a meter installed here. Both the stopcock and meter are our responsibility.

You, or your landlord, are legally responsible for the section of the service pipe from the boundary of the street to your property. This is called the supply pipe. If there is a leak on the supply pipe you are responsible for getting it repaired, although we may be able to help through our Leak detection and repair scheme.

The diagram below shows a typical service pipe layout, with the pipe supplying a single house. If you share your supply pipe with neighbours then you also share responsiblity for fixing leaks with them. If you are unsure about which sections of pipework are your responsibility, please contact us for further advice.

A diagram showing who is responsibile for the underground supply pipe.

We offer a leak assistance scheme for household customers. Where there is a leak from the pipework supplying your property, either externally or internally, it is your responsibility to get this repaired. This is a legal requirement under the Water Industry Act 1991.

We offer a one-off, non-emergency leakage assistance scheme for domestic customers where we will engage our contractor, SES Home Services, to locate and fix the leak or we will subsidise the renewal of the supply pipe.  

If you are concerned your underground pipework may be leaking, please contact our Customer Services team by completing an enquiry form or by phoning 01737 772000. We will send a member of our team to investigate. If there is a leak, you will be given details of how to get it fixed. If we are able to offer a repair under the above scheme, provided there are no exceptional circumstances the repair will normally be completed within 5 working days.

Plesae see our factsheet for more details.

Items marked * must be filled in.

Application for
leakage adjustment

In some instances, we will amend bills after a leak has been detected on a metered supply.
To apply for an adjustment please complete ALL sections below.

*mandatory fields
Don't know