A brief history

The company can trace its origins back to the mid 19th century, when Victorian engineers began to supply water direct to people's homes.

A map giving an overview of the history of the company

The map above illustrates how our area of supply grew with the major company events listed below.

1862 The Caterham Spring Water Company founded. Supplies water to Caterham, Coulsdon, Chaldon, Warlingham, Godstone, Bletchingley, Nutfield, Reigate, Redhill and Earlswood.

1863 The Sutton and Cheam Water Company begins to supply water to the parish of Sutton.

1871 Sutton District Water takes over the Sutton and Cheam Water Company. This new company supplies Sutton, Cheam, Carshalton, Wallington, Beddington, Morden, Banstead, Woodmansterne, Ewell and Cuddington.

1881 The Caterham Spring Water Company and Kenley Water Company amalgamated.

1885 Area expanded and became East Surrey Water Company.

1896 East Surrey Water Company merges with Reigate Waterworks Company (including Walton area).

1910 Kingswood Water Company added to Sutton District Water's supply area.

1927 East Surrey Water Company merges with Leatherhead and District Water.

1930 East Surrey Water Company merges with the Chelsham and Woldingham Water Company and the Limpsfield and Oxted Water Company.

1959 Merger between East Surrey Water Company and the Dorking Water Company

1996 Sutton District Water merges with East Surrey Water Company to form Sutton and East Surrey Water

2017 Company rebrands to SES Water


"